Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mother-tested, kid-approved

After my teen’s Regents exams and finals were a thing of the past, I asked her to check out my blog.

She thundered, “You didn’t write about me, did you.”
“Of course not,” I thundered back, “it’s about ME!”

She ran upstairs to her bedroom to check it out on the Mac while I stayed a safe distance away on my first-floor kitchen. Fourteen years of parenting has taught me this: I can deal just fine with a volley of bullets, guns and other explosive devices, but I prefer to be out of range and wear my bullet-proof vests when my teen starts shooting her arrows of criticism at me.

At first, I heard a loud shriek (translation: “You lied, you did write about me.”). I was fully prepared for this blow. Every muscle in my body tightened and I held my breath waiting for the next barrage of missiles. But then I heard her crack a chuckle. And then some more. I began to exhale, slowly. I wasn’t sure if I was off the hook completely. Finally, she exclaimed, “it is funny.” “Really,” I said, “then can you ask your cousins to read it and post a comment.” (Of course, I warned her that I had to approve the comments. It’s still MY blog.)

It’s great to know my first post meets her approval. I am not sure if subsequent posts will garner her blessings. I may lack the liberty to write away on matters concerning my teen (the younger two have yet to find time in their busy schedules to read my 250 words or so) but I know this: unlike the famous Kix cereal slogan (Kid tested, mother approved) my posts have to be mother-tested and teen-approved. If not, I’ll never hear the end of it.

(P.S.: Teen hasn’t seen this yet. She’s still sleeping though it’s well past the break of dawn.)

3 comments:

  1. At the risk of adding fire to an already raging fire, you have to wonder what you're doing RIGHT if your teen (or any of your kids) really agrees with what you say!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm enjoying this, immensely, and appreciate your candor! i know a tiny bit about parenting - and thus, there may be a bit of "schadenfreud" involved...(also, i think that squirrelmama may have intended to write, "...of adding FUEL to..." - but i agree with the sentiment...)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were a mac using household! Smart! :D

    Writing without bruising egos can be an issue, but a good person always manages to avoid hurting people. Jokes are ok, but I can't imagine you'd put anything up if you knew your children would disapprove.

    ReplyDelete